Look before you file! Loyalty doesn't pay.

Not long ago, I received a letter from my house insurance providers, I am normally the kinda gal who just gives in a cursory look and files it away. However, for whatever reason, I decided to compare the quote they gave me to last year's. I was pretty surprised at what I discovered, they had increased it by nearly £10 a month so well over a £100 for the year. I couldn't understand why they would do that as as we haven't claimed on our insurance ever! So I gave them a call and this is more or less how the conversation went:

Them - How can I help you ths morning?
Me - hi, I received my renewal quote today and you have increased my premium by over a £100 a year. Why is that? I've never claimed.
Them - Lets take a look....we have reviewed all the postcodes and your postcode may have been reclassified as more risky.
Me - In what way? Nothing has changed in my area. In fact when I look at quotes on the comparison sites, they offer much cheaper quotes then yours, why don't they think I live in a risky area?
Them - Let me just speak to my supervisor........( a minute or two passes), yes we have reviewed your case and we can offer you the following deal...

The revised quote not only discarded the rise but also gave me a discount. An excellent result and a lesson learnt for me, but I also feel a little sad that loyalty really means nothing to a company except as a way to exploit. So take my advice don't treat them like friends, they won't do you any favours and always mention  comparison sites!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Need some extra income? Go look in the shed!

Autumn is here. Let the leaves fall from my eyes.

What do you do with a problem like Merlin?