Goals for 2017, better late than never

I have been away from blogging of late as life just got in the way, sometimes positively and sometimes less so. Before I knew it, 2016 has been consigned to the pages of history and 2017 has arrived and is speeding away. Brexit, terrorism and the possibility of a second Scottish referendum are dominating the headlines. I am trying to ignore the newspapers and focus on my goals for this year. I am now in my 40s and frankly my thoughts have strayed to the fact I am not going to get younger and so need to actually take health more seriously, this in practical terms means I have to do some exercise and eat better. With frugality at the forefront of my mind, I am not wasting money on gyms or dance classes so I have taken up jogging, twice a week in the local park! I am not very good and my stamina is rubbish, the same guy laps me every week! However, after a month it is definitely improving, my aim is to be able to run for half an hour without stopping. I have to say that doing exercise does actually make you feel good, even if you aren't brilliant at it yet. I have felt pretty positive about life this last month and more resilient. On the diet front, my mantra is simply no cake or milk chocolate. That's it, I can eat everything else. So far its working albeit at a very slow pace. The strange thing is having given up chocolate bars for the last 3 months, I am also eating far less crisps. I am not complaining and neither is my purse.

My final goal is far more ambitious. I am hoping, along, with my other half to save enough money over the next decade to allow us to be financially independent or at the very least only require part-time work. The focus will be mainly on cutting back on our mindless spending and sticking this money into low cost investments. I have always considered myself quite frugal but having just started tracking our spending I can see I have been fooling myself quite a bit. Our grocery bill is pretty high, we have an eye watering Sky bill and spend a lot of money on gadgets such as blenders and fitbits. It is time to get serious. I am greatly inspired by people like Mr Money Moustache, Mad Fientist and JD Roth who have achieved financial independence. I feel quite optimistic about this goal and hope the Universe will have my back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Need some extra income? Go look in the shed!

Autumn is here. Let the leaves fall from my eyes.

What do you do with a problem like Merlin?